Saturday, August 6, 2011

SitRep Saturday: Cass Gets Her Kicks

This week, I finished editing all four stories, dumped everything into a single word processor file, and started rewriting. I finished "Galena, KS" and "Vega, TX." I had hoped to finish rewrites of all four, but I've decided not to stress about it. I'll get it written, I'll get it out, and I'll start on the next project.

From my years writing fanfiction, I have several excellent friends who are also just fantastic beta readers. The best advice I have ever read about editors says that you should find one that hates you. I agree... to an extent. I think you should find editors/betas who like you, but are still willing to tell it like it is. If they like you, they're willing to read your work. If they're friends (true ones, not the crappy kind), they want to see you succeed. And if they're willing to tell it like it is, they're going to straight-up say, "This? It sucks. Get rid of it." I have friends like this. The first two stories are currently with four of them, and I have notes back from two of them.

I'm plugging along. Progress is considerably slower than I would like it to be, but I've been telling myself to just let it be. It's not like I'm stopping anytime soon. I'm too stubborn and too determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment