Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Amanda Hocking

Let's talk about self-published young adult fantasy writer Amanda Hocking.

I discovered her entirely by accident. One night, while browsing the Kindle store, I discovered some well-reviewed inexpensive ebooks that seemed to belong to the same genre as the novel I'm currently working on. Since I am a big believer in learning what my intended audience wants and likes, I downloaded a couple of them. Specifically, I downloaded Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) and Switched (Trylle Trilogy, Book 1). I just finished reading Hollowland, and I must admit that I feel the same way I did eighteen years ago when I finished A Tale of Two Cities for the first time: I need more!

Ms. Hocking is excellent at what she does, and she has a number of books available. In Hollowland, the action was intense, the characters were believable and compelling, and the conflicts and resolutions were immensely satisfying. I may be slightly biased because I am a bit fan of zombies, but I'm not biased enough to read an entire novel and think it was wonderful. I can't wait to start reading Switched.

If you have a Kindle, or the Kindle app or software, and you're looking for an inexpensive, well-written urban fantasy, I highly recommend checking out this author. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment