Tuesday, July 26, 2011

On Writing: Common Homophones

A homophone is a word that sounds the same as another word, but does not mean the same. The English language is just full of these. They're dangerous. They're sneaky. They can make even the smartest person look like a boob.


I'm positive that we've all been there. I know I have: I'm tired or not paying attention, and I use your instead of you're. Then, when I go back to read what I've written, I want to die of shame. (Maybe that's extreme. But I'm sure you get what I mean.) Spell check isn't going to catch this, but your readers certainly will. What I do, as described in tip number four of this post, is run a search for the words I tend to abuse when I'm done with what I'm writing. This may not always be practical, but it certainly cuts down on my mistakes. 


We probably all know the most common ones. Facebook is full of your friends, family, coworkers, and classmates who misuse them all the time. 


Affect/Effect


Affect can be a verb that means "to have an impact on something" or a noun that means "influencing behavior or action." Effect is a verb that means "to cause change" or a noun that means "the consequence" or "the state of becoming operative." When you affect something, there are effects. 


Its/It's


Its is possessive. It's is a contraction of "it is." It's its own worst enemy.


Peace/Piece

Peace means "tranquility or quiet" while piece means "part of a whole." You won't have peace of mind until you give her a piece of your mind.

Than/Then


Than is for comparison, while then is for order of events. Then she smiled brighter than the sun.


Their/There/They're


Their is possessive. There is a place indicator. They're is a contraction of "they are." They're going to be there for their party.


To/Too

To indicates direction or intention. Too means "also." I want to go too!

Your/You're


Your is possessive. You're is a contraction of "you are." You're going to get your comeuppance. 


Whose/Who's


Whose is possessive. Who's is a contraction of "who is." Who's going to know whose it is?


The definitions provided are simplified; the links should take you to more explicit and in-depth definitions. 

2 comments:

  1. Affect and Effect... I hate them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm not a fan of homophones in general. They can be great for puns, but in general... I do not like looking like a boob!

    ReplyDelete