Saturday, October 15, 2011

SitRep Saturday: WIPs & Real Life

That image is my new desktop. I found it here when I was searching for potential covers for the vampire WIP. That story, by the way, is definitely no longer called Strawberry Moon. Anyway, I really like this image. I like the texture and color of the rocks and the vegetation contrasted with the bright blue of the water in the background. This looks like a place I really want to visit.

On the subject of the vampire WIP, I'm proud to say that I've at least been productive there: I have completed the action draft of the entire novel and I've drafted half of the second chapter. (The first chapter was already done.) I managed to write nearly two thousand words between yesterday and this morning, so as long as I keep it up, I should be on track to finish the draft by the end of this month. I have goals. I just have to meet them.

The problem I'm having now, though, is that the novel is most definitely not young adult anymore. At least, not in the sense that it could be aimed at the 13 - 18 year-old crowd. It might be appropriate for the 17/18 crowd, but there are parts of it that have become much, much darker than I first expected. I had such a hard time action drafting the last several chapters because the darkness was getting to me. It wasn't what I first intended at all. I've come to the conclusion that I just have to write what the story needs, even if it makes me incredibly uncomfortable, and I can worry about marketing it once it's done.

I've been a lazy blogger and Twit the last couple of weeks. I just haven't felt like being online much. With my husband away at training, I have access to the car whenever I want it and I've been taking advantage of that. The kiddo and I have gone out and seen a little more of Germany (including a trip to the Frankfurt zoo). There's also the issue of Daddy Is Gone. She's old enough to understand that he's gone but not old enough to understand why and since she's a total Daddy's girl, she's been really needy and clingy.

Sometimes, I think we just have to step away from work. I'm fortunate enough to have the luxury of staying home with my daughter. It was nice to step back and recharge.

But now, I have plans for next week. I already have one guest post and I'll send off the Q&A for another. I'm planning two of my own posts, which I will get to researching and starting this weekend. I think it'll be really exciting and really useful. I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up! Being productive when the juices are flowing is half the battle. Much easier than pushing when the inspiration is not there ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That's actually part of why I've been so quiet the last couple of days: I've been working on a new novelette. :D

    ReplyDelete