Sunday, September 4, 2011

In The Real World, Yoda, We Try

Yesterday, a writer I follow on Twitter and here on Blogger released his first book: Heaven Can Wait by R. J. Davnall. I did what I could with a Facebook share and a retweet, but it occurred to me that it would be nice to have a place to go where I could read about all new indie releases.

So I went to my BFF, Google, and I asked it where I could find a list or schedule of new indie releases. I found Release Notes, but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for. (It's a good blog and I promptly started following it, though.) Goodreads has a self-promotion thread, but, again, not exactly what I was looking for. There's the Indie Book Collective. That looks like a great blog, too. I knew about the .99 Cent Network (which reminds me that I need to sign up; I knew I was forgetting something). I looked through several pages of results from Google, and I did not find what I wanted.

What I want is something like this: New Book Release Dates. Something like this in list form or this would also do, but indie (self-published and small publishers) books only. Nothing fancy. Just a cover image, title, author, summary, price, and link(s) to where the book is for sale.

So I created a new email address at indiereleaseparty@yahoo.com and I created a new blog and I put the initial feeler out on Twitter last night. I didn't receive much of a response, to be honest, but I don't think that means this is a failure. I want to give it a little more time.

In order for this to work, though, I need indie authors to submit their information. Like short press releases, I guess. You can email the address above, DM me on Twitter with a link to your book or webpage about the book, or leave a comment here or in last night's Plug Your Book post.

I think this could be really useful. If nothing else, it could be one more promo tool for indie authors, and, let's face it, we need all the help we can get.

2 comments:

  1. most interesting - it's fairly difficult to circulate a book or 'zine without all the brou ha ha of wine and cheese parties, advertising in the local paper or whatever....

    i wonder why they keep reprinting nathaniel hawthorne? sometimes, new intros or extros make their postmodern way into the newbie oldie but goody (or goodman as you prefer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to get noticed in the sea of available entertainment or information. I recently read a great blog comparing the indie publishing scene to a big construction contracting party that made a lot of sense.

    As for Nathaniel Hawthorne, I don't know. Maybe to make him hip and relevant to the latest generation of readers?

    ReplyDelete