Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Interview: Kelsey McCarthy, Author/Designer/Illustrator

Today, I have for you an interview with Kelsey McCarthy, my personal favorite designer and illustrator and a fantastic writer to boot. (She's working on a seriously awesome fantasy story right now, I can't wait for it to be done.) If you're looking for a cover artist or a web designer or, really, have any graphic design needs at all, she is your woman. You'll see what I mean a little farther down the page.

How long have you been interested in writing and in art? Which came first?

I want to say the art came first, but I can remember telling stories at the same time right along with it.

Is it easier to write or paint?

Which is harder depends on how I'm feeling any particular day. Sometimes I can't get a painting right, so I write. Sometimes I'm bashing my head into a wall with a story, so I fuck off and doodle. It's a nice way to be productive and not burn out on any particular thing.

I know you're in the middle of an epic work-in-progress. How is that going? What are your plans for it?

I don't know if it's an "epic" work-in-progress, but it's certainly the biggest thing I've ever tackled. My current plans are applying the edits I have right now thanks to some lovely beta readers, then sending out the whole draft to them (as they've only read chunks thus far). Said huge draft should be thrown at people some time in December. I'd like to eventually go for publication with it, but if that fails, I'll self-publish. Despite the massive amounts of hatemail I'm sure to get, I just want to get the story out there and share it with people. Money isn't that big a deal if I can move some people.

How did you approach the research for it?

Researching stuff for it is still a constant thing. It started out with character ideas, then I went and read as many versions of the mythology as I could find and just let them grow together. I wanted to keep true to the mythology while still letting it be my own story. Luckily vikings have a pretty batshit insane mythology. Lots of room for moving things around. Right now is the fine-tuning: mind-sets, customs, battle tactics, etc. Also trying to weave in what needs to be there in order to make a smooth transition into the second story.

What is your favorite thing to write?

Favorite thing to write: Gritty dark fantasy, whether urban or high fantasy. I do dally with normal fiction, too, because if you can't write that, then you can't write good fantasy either.

What is your favorite writing tip?

Favorite writing tip: Allow yourself to write badly. The first draft is meant to be fugly and awful, then you go back for a second pass and you find the awesome parts that take you places.

What kind of commissions are your favorites to take?


I tend to like character-based commissions the most. I love painting people, though I'm making an effort to get into doing more backgrounds and landscapes, especially with some of my own work. Book covers and posters are my favorite formats right now.

Is there anyplace we can see examples of your work online?


Marginalia Studios is a design collective made up of a bunch of us from the same college. We were dreading the job market after graduation, so we decided to band together and make our own job opportunities. The project is still trying to get off the ground because we're rather scattered right now, but hopefully it'll gain speed once we start getting clients.

How can potential clients get in touch with you?

Unfortunately Marginalia's hosting has been a mess and our site isn't up to snuff yet. The best way to get in contact with me specifically for commissions and professional work is through my gmail: shadowsreflectsky at gmail dot com

Thank you! Everybody go buy Miss Leona's books!

No, thank you! And, dearest readers, if you need a graphic artist, I hope you get in touch with Kelsey. Check out her portfolio up there at Artician.com for more examples of commissions she has done.

2 comments:

  1. Good interview, Leona. I was intrigued by the way the artist-writer switches between writing and painting when he runs into a mental block or just can't get any further, as a way to "stay productive."

    It made me think, first ironically, about redefining "productive," but then I quickly realized that this is, yes, how creative people stay creative and productive. This is a way forward, and it sure beats playing Angry Birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The fact that Kelsey has always been an artist and a writer, and fabulously talented at both, has fascinated me since I first got to know her. This interview was an excuse to pick her brain, lol.

    Right? She's constantly creating. Well, except when she's playing PS3, which she does, haha.

    ReplyDelete