Tuesday, November 8, 2011

On Writing: Resources for the New Writer

With National Novel Writing Month upon us and with the ease of self-publishing, it seems like first-time writers are setting pen to paper or fingers to keyboard and telling their stories in astonishing numbers. I, for one, think this is great. But I also think that those first-time writers need resources. All writers need resources. First-time writers need the basics, the books and guides that teach the finer points of the art and help you build your skills starting with a solid foundation. I know I certainly did. I also know that I still look for resources and ways to strengthen my foundation... and I've been writing and sharing for nine years now.

The Fundamentals
The very basics of writing: words, including spelling and definition, and how to string them together coherently and format them for easy reading.


How to Write Fiction
Tips, tricks, guides, and other resources for creative writing.


The Feedback
Feedback is essential for two reasons: 1) it helps a writer improve; 2) it helps a writer develop "thick skin." 

No comments:

Post a Comment