Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday Miscellany: What I Did On My Summer Vacation

It started and ended with The Avengers. I caught the final showing of the movie yesterday evening, which is why my Blog Roundup post was so late. Now we're playing the waiting game until September 25 and the DVD release. Can it be September now? (Well, okay, so it's coming back to the on-post theater at the end of July, and I may very well try to go see it then.)

To be perfectly honest, I didn't to a lot of work this month. After about the middle of the month, I only logged in to Blogger a few times to make sure the posts were going up properly. I didn't log into my email or check my Facebook page, though I can see now that I probably should have since the formatting book went live. Oops. Oh, well. I'll get my thank yous out soon.

What I did do was a lot of personal and fandom writing, a lot of thinking, and a lot of planning. I discovered a few great websites and blogs that I'll be sharing over the next little while and I even created a new tumblelog of my own. I watched a lot of movies. And, perhaps most important, I just spent a lot of time playing and reading with my kiddo. Actually, reading with her is pretty much all of the reading I did this month. I read one short story from Delilah Devlin and a little bit of Richard Marcinko's autobiography, but that was only in the last few days.

Going hard with this writing thing has sucked the enjoyment out of reading for me. I needed some time away from editing and Being Serious to learn to enjoy being entertained again.

And I did learn to enjoy it! I haven't kept up an internal monologue of criticism on a single movie all month. I've even read some fanfiction that I didn't immediately want to tear apart. It has been wonderful.

For any of you struggling with your writing, and being able to enjoy reading, I whole-heartedly suggest taking time off. Don't do anything useful for a set period of time and see how much better off you are at the end of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment