Saturday, July 2, 2011

SitRep Saturday: Strawberry Moon

I finished the hardcopy revisions this week! Ugh, the novel is a mess. It's just a mess. But that's okay! Because I am making progress!

A few days ago, I sat down with a list of details that needed to be researched, and I researched them. I now know when Jessica's commencement ceremony was, what days Amy was in Istanbul, when Jess got to the Inn, and when the novel starts. I have a rough history of my fictional Maine fishing town--Millay Harbor is based on the town of Castine, Maine. I know when the full moon was in June 2008, which means I know how many days I have between when Amy gets back from Istanbul until the climax of the conflict. Knowing that, I was able to create a daily timeline, which is going to help so much in the re-write.

Which I have already started, by the way. I'm on page two in the new file (imaginatively titled "StrawberryMoonRevised") and page four in the hardcopy. I'm editing as I go, considering my notes, and I have to say, I feel like I'm making real progress.

Now, I have a better idea of who these characters are, what drives them, and what role they play in the story.

I definitely did not make my June 30 deadline, as is painfully obvious, but as long as I keep working just as hard, I feel like this should be completed soon. I'm hoping to finish the re-write in the next two weeks and get the "final" draft out to my test readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment