Thursday, April 19, 2012

On Writing: Expanding Your Vocabulary

In order to use the right word, you need to at least be aware that it exists. Word of the Day calendars and emails are fun for adults, but most of us aren't still taking weekly spelling tests. (We totally should, though.) Sometimes, we get stuck in the rut of using the same words over and over again when there are so many out there just ready to be dropped into the perfect sentence. Here are seven ways you can expand your vocabulary.

1. Read the dictionary.
Yes, I'm serious. This works best with real paper books. Open your favorite dictionary, pick a word, and start reading. That's it. You'll run into a lot of words to know, but there will be some surprises. I'd even suggest writing down the ones you like.

2. Read the thesaurus.
Again, yes, I'm serious. Reading the thesaurus not only teaches you new words, it helps you discover similar and dissimilar words. Maybe "lucid" isn't the right word, but maybe it has a cousin that is.

3. Read technical non-fiction.
Specialized knowledge is valuable, that's why tuition is so expensive. At least, that's what I tell myself. If you're researching something for a story, get your hands on all the technical manuals, textbooks, and other non-fiction work you can. You'll absorb the specialized vocabulary in addition to the material.

4. Study technical diagrams.
You know that edge of reinforced cloth on a shirt where the buttons are? That's called a placket. I learned that from studying technical fashion diagrams. You can do this with pretty much anything. Need to know where the main arteries are in the human neck? Diagram. If you find the right one, it'll even tell you what doctors call those arteries.

5. Play word games.
Scrabble is one of my favorite games. If I had an iPhone or something, I'd probably play Words With Friends. When you play a word game, make rules for yourself, like no four-letter words. Be creative. Force yourself to recall as much of your vocabulary as possible.

6. Listen to people smarter than you.
And people who are effective communicators. Chances are they not only have large vocabularies, but they have excellent command of the language, too. Find the people you consider smarter than you, shut your mouth, and listen to the words they use and how they string them together.

7. Listen to people with specific knowledge.
My husband is a soldier, so when he comes home and talks about work, he uses quite a lot of very specific vocabulary. I am reasonably certain that he says things comprised entirely of acronyms. Long things. Like whole sentences or paragraphs. I don't always understand it, but if I ever get around to writing my epic military science fiction, I have a wealth of vocabulary to draw on. The same goes for doctors, lawyers, construction workers, engineers, chefs... Anyone, really. Everyone is an expert in something, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment