Sunday, May 6, 2012

Blog Roundup: April 30 - May 6, 2012

Chuck Wendig shared 25 Realizations Writers Need To Have. I mean, is there anything the man does know? He also posted on the touchy subject of ebook pricing. I'm a fan of reading everything I can on a subject and getting a lot of perspectives, so this was interesting to me. (I, for the record, price my books for my target audience.)

Greta van der Rol interviewed her character, Morgan, to talk about the fact that she (Ms. van der Rol) is going to write a sequel to Morgan's Choice. Is anyone else excited? I know I am!

Erotic Romance offered this short, question-filled post on "dishonest ebook returns." Here's my take: Amazon's return policy is good for both readers--who can shop with confidence knowing that if they're dissatisfied in any way that they can get their money back--and authors--who want to foster consumer confidence. If you're seeing a high number of returns, maybe it's time to check your formatting or story (and maybe even your book price). Most readers don't return books just because they don't like them. Some will, of course; pirates are everywhere. But most readers don't. (I've bought several books in the last year that I thought were just awful. And I didn't return any of them. This is a common thread among readers I know. My book returns reflect this: I see perhaps one or two returns for every 150 - 200 books sold.)

James Killick wants to tell you how to free the genius inside. I think he has some good points.

Stella Deleuze's Tip of the Week was on blogging and doing it right. She has some good points. I'd add something, though. Define your audience. I floundered for a while when I first started this blog. I'm floundering with the tumblr I just started. Define your audience as quickly as you can and write to them. That will get visitors to your blog and, maybe, readers to your books.

Clearly, I need new blogs to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment